Tuesday, September 17, 2024

more specific gettin' ready

Two days to departure: 

Well. you probably heard, Air Canada is not going on strike.  That's good for the rest of the world.  I'll leave it at that.  As Mom said, the extra money we paid was worth the peace of mind even if the gamble did not pay off in the end.  

I started packing yesterday.  No pictures.  You'll have to trust me.  I have been charging my computer, camera, power bank, e-reader, speaker, headphones and changed the batteries in my headlamp. 

Today, over lunch of course, I researched alternatives to Uber.  General consensus in the webosphere is Bolt.  Downloaded their app.  Google maps for all five cities.  Downloaded Rome2Rio for train tickets. 

The Lunch Room Counsel had some ideas about fancy events in Europe.  Mainly, what to wear. Looked up the dress code for the opera and ballet.  I am taking a dress but I can't be bothered to also bring special fancy shoes.  Dress code for both:  None.  Canvas shoes it is!  

I got a cortisone (steriod) shot in knee.  Hopefully that makes life easier.  Or at least less hobbley.  

Next day.  One day to departure. 

I mostly finished packing last night.  I moved everything off the guest bed so Mom and Bill don't have to sleep on the loveseat in the living room.  I love a good 'forced to finish early' situation.  I need this for everything in my life. 

Weather situation!!  YIKES!!!  Extreme flooding along the Danube.  Death and destruction.  Terrible for them, but let's be honest/selfish, slightly bothersome for us.  

Here's a quote:  

The flooding has swamped parts of Austria, the Czech Republic, Poland and Romania as a low-pressure system crossing the region has unleashed record-high rains for days, and it was expected to affect Slovakia and Hungary later in the week. So far 16 people have been reported killed — seven people in Romania, five in Poland, three in the Czech Republic and one in Austria.

As noted in basically everything I've already written, we will be in Hungary later in the week.  

Ok, I have to do some last minute packing.  And Mom is having a small dinner party in my house tonight because of course she is.  She's been packed for weeks.  I on the other hand have a few bits and pieces to go.  

Later that night.  Checked in for our flight.  I got to put my 'trusted traveler number in' which probably doesn't do anything but I have it so I'm using it! 

I figured at 9pm on the night before we leave, I should check to see if we need any special entry documents, visas etc.  Nope.  

To the ferry in the morning and fly out of Vancouver in the afternoon.  See you in Europe!  

The Danube, during less floody days.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Budapest

Finally a scenic train trip!  The wifi was crappola but I got to enjoy the view at least. We arrived back to Budapest fairly ear...