Thursday, October 10, 2024

Budapest

Finally a scenic train trip!  The wifi was crappola but I got to enjoy the view at least.


We arrived back to Budapest fairly early.  We took a Bolt to the new apartment. We were so excited.  It was in a funky old building (I am being positive, it is a bit ramshakle!), and the apartment itself was very big.  Two big bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen.  But then I started to realize, wait, our suite is called the Piano Suite.  But only one room has the name Piano Room on it.  Quick message to the host.  We had booked a single room in a three room 'mini-hotel' with a shared kitchen.  At least we have our own bathroom.  

We split the bed.  This time Mom got the sheets. 
The inner courtyard. It's seen better days. 
The elevator is absolutely terrifying! 

We are pretty far from the touristy area this time. I booked close to the famous Pest Baths.  But, alas, as is getting to be normal for us, they are closed right now.  

We took a walk around the neighbourhood.  I'm not sure it would be great if this was our first visit to Budapest but it is a really 'real' area with non-tourist stores and restaurants and people just going about their business, walking their dogs, picking up their kids etc. If I lived here, this would be a neighbourhood I would want to live in.  

We stopped at Spar, the equivalent of Safeway here.  Picked up some yogurt for breakfast.  And went home and went to bed.

The next day, we got up late and had no agenda.  Mom wanted to go back to the river to see how it looks when it isn't flooded.  It was about an hour walk.  We had a break about half way to ride the Budapest Ferris Wheel!  

Ferris Wheel Selfie!



The view from the top!


Then we kept walking until we got to the water. Oh, I stopped in at a shop and wanted to buy these glass poppies so bad.  But I didn't.  Here's a picture so in years to come I can say 'I wish I bought those poppies'

I wish I had bought those poppies!

When we arrived at the river, it was back to normal level. Honestly, if we hadn't been here three weeks ago, we would not believe how high it had been.  

Here is before:


And after:

That's the same building!.  We went in and it is 
like it was never underwater.

My friend Robin from work told me not to bother with a day cruise in Budapest, just take the river 'bus'.  I looked online and that ended since he and his wife came here but there is still a super cheap, sort of water bus.  It goes to three stops and it takes about an hour round trip. Yes please!  



One cannot get enough of these parliament buildings!

More soup for lunch!  It was hot today but that does not stop Mom's Fall Soup crusade.  


And that was most of our day.  We walked back to our apartment/room.  We took a different street and it was as hussle and bussle as the other one we took into town.  A great area.  We stopped at Spar again and picked up some wine to take home. I am assured that a nice full bodied Hungarian red is worth the extra weight.  We'll see.  

And that is our trip.  We head out tomorrow morning and home a few hours later (not taking the 9 hour time difference into account).  I love to travel but I also love to come home.  

See you back in Canada.  jc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Budapest

Finally a scenic train trip!  The wifi was crappola but I got to enjoy the view at least. We arrived back to Budapest fairly ear...